News Release - Clearview Fire & Emergency Services Reminds you to Inspect your CO Detectors

Date Published: 
November 5 2020

Carbon monoxide poses a serious threat to the residents of Clearview Township. Clearview Fire & Emergency Services responds to more than 150 calls every year due to the activation of CO alarms.  

Carbon monoxide (CO) is known as “The Silent Killer” because it is a gas that you cannot see, taste, or smell.  Did you know that nearly everyone is at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning? 88% of all Canadian homes have something inside that poses a CO threat.  This may include things such as fireplaces, wood stoves, fuel-burning furnaces, water heaters, stoves, dryers etc. It is also very important to not run any gasoline or fuel-burning engines in your garage. This includes vehicles and especially generators. While it may seem convenient to run generators in the garage on those cold and windy nights when the power is out, they should never be run inside and placed a safe distance from your home.  

It is your responsibility to protect you and your family! It’s the law to install CO alarms in a central location outside of sleeping areas and on every level of your home when there is a fuel-burning appliance or attached garage.  

It is a common misconception that CO is heavier than air - it is slightly lighter! So, you don’t need to install them near the floor – just make sure that they are not near fumes or exhaust and open flame. They need to be tested monthly, and replaced every 5 to 10 years, depending on the manufacturer.  

Don’t let “The Silent Killer” into your home! 

Please contact Clearview Fire and Emergency Services at 705 428-6230 ext. 401, if you would like more information or to have your alarms inspected.

For more information, please contact: 

Roree Payment
Fire Chief

Clearview Township
(705) 428-6230 ext. 402
rpayment@clearview.ca