Township Seal

Commissioner of Oath Services

Commissioner of Oath Services

A Commissioner is a person authorized by the Province of Ontario to take oaths or declarations when you sign an affidavit or statutory declaration. The Clerk, Deputy Clerk, Treasurer and Records Management Coordinator are Commissioners for taking Affidavits in Clearview Township. The authority is conferred by the Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act.

Please be advised that the Commissioner is not responsible for the content of the affidavit; it is the responsibility of the person whose signature is being commissioned (the deponent). The deponent must understand not only the details to which he or she will attest but also the fact that he or she is swearing an oath that the details are correct.

Schedule an Appointment

Clearview Township commissions documents free of charge to its residents. Non-residents are charged a flat rate of $15.00 per visit.

To set up an appointment, please contact the Clerks Department (705) 428-6230 ext. 224

Requirements for Commissioning

  • To have a document commissioned all parties required to sign the document must be present and must provide valid photo identification.
  • The Commissioner will first review the document to determine if the document meets their specification. The Commissioner reserves the right to refuse commissioning services of any document.
  • Documents that are in any language other than English will not be commissioned, as we cannot validate the information that is sworn. There will be no exceptions to this policy.

Notary Public

Please note that a Commissioner for taking Affidavits is not the same as a Notary Public. A Notary Public is a person who is authorized under the Notaries Act to commission documents, certify documents as true copies to verify signatures. The requirements to become a Notary Public are more stringent than for a Commissioner and most are lawyers or judicial officers. If you require a document to be “notarized” as opposed to “commissioned”, the person administering the oath or affidavit generally is a lawyer.

As Commissioners we do NOT certify true copies of documents. This service can be provided by a Notary Public.

Related Documents:

Commissioner of Oaths and Affidavits Policy