The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) allows access to records held by the municipality in accordance with the following principles:
- Information should be made available to the public;
- Individuals should have access to their own personal information;
- Exceptions to access should be limited and specific;
- The privacy of individuals with respect to the personal information the municipality collects and maintains shall be protected; and
- Decisions on the disclosure of government information may be reviewed by the Information and Privacy Commissioner.
If you wish to access any records held by the Township of Clearview, we suggest that you first contact the department that holds the records. The staff in that department will consult with the Clerk, if required, to decide if a formal MFIPPA request is needed. The Township tries to provide as much information as possible to the public without the need to make a formal request under MFIPPA.
How to make a request
Fill out a MFIPPA Access Request Form or write a letter stating that you are requesting information under MFIPPA. Include as much detail about the information being requested as possible.
Submit the request along with the required $5 application fee to:
Township of Clearview
217 Gideon Street P.O. Box 200
Stayner, ON L0M 1S0
Usually a request is processed within 30 days.
The following fees may be charged in response to requests for information.
- Application fee: $5 to be paid when you submit your request.
- Search time: $7.50 for each 15 minutes required to search and retrieve records.
- Record preparation: $7.50 for each 15 minutes required to prepare records for release.
- Photocopying: $0.20 per page.
- Computer programming: $15 for each 15 minutes needed to develop a program to retrieve information.
- CDs: $10 for each CD.
You will be given a fee estimate if the fees are likely to be more than $25. If the estimate of fees is $100 or more, you may have to pay a 50% deposit. Fees may be paid by cash, money order, certified cheque (payable to the Township of Clearview) and debit card.
If you are not satisfied with the Township’s response to your request, you may appeal the Township’s decision to the Information and Privacy Commissioner. This Commissioner is appointed by the Provincial Legislature and is independent of any government or public institution. The Commissioner may be contacted at:
Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario
2 Bloor Street East
Toronto, Ontario M4W 1A8
There is a $10 appeal fee for requests related to accessing or correcting your personal information. There is a $25 appeal fee for requests related to accessing general records. Appeal fees may be paid by cheque or money order made payable to the Minister of Finance.
For Appeal Form and more information, contact the Information and Privacy Commissioner.
If you have questions regarding the freedom of information process, please contact the Clerk’s Office, Sasha Helmkay, email@example.com or by phone at 705 428 6230 ext. 224