The Building Department is responsible for ensuring that construction and renovation projects in the Township are safe and adhere to municipal zoning by-laws, the Ontario Building Code and any applicable health and safety regulations.
Please refer to the following sections for detailed information.
A building permit is a formal written approval from the Township of Clearview to construct, add on to, or renovate an existing building on your property.
There are many instances that require an individual to obtain a building permit. It is necessary to apply for a building permit when you plan to:
- Constructing a New Building
- Renovating an Existing Building
- Constructing or Excavating a Foundation
- Installing or Replacing a Septic System
- Installing a Heating, Plumbing, or Air Conditioning System.
- Demolishing a Building
- Building a Deck
Once you have submitted a building application to the Township, it will be reviewed to determine compliance with the Building Code Act. Your application will also be reviewed to ensure that it complies with the Zoning By-Law and any other applicable requirements.
Building Permit Processing Time
Typically, the Building Department is able to process completed applications within 10 business days. However, processing time can vary according to:
- Season (the spring is usually a very busy period with numerous applications);
- The number and complexity of other applications/requirements;
- Submission of a complete application;
- Submission of fees/development charges.
Please contact Building Department if you are unsure of the necessary process required for your building project. Our department will guide you through the steps that need to be followed. It may be the case that other municipal approvals are also required.
Common additional approvals that may be required are:
- Zoning By-Law Amendment (this process takes a minimum of 3 months)
- Minor Variance (this process takes a minimum of 2 months)
- Site Plan Approval (this process may take several months or more depending on complexity of the application)
If your proposal is subject to an existing site plan or subdivision/condominium agreement, you may also be required to provide information to demonstrate compliance with those requirements.
Buidling Permit Fees
To view building permit fees, please click on the following button: