Home‎ > ‎Information‎ > ‎General Notices‎ > ‎

Notice- Treat Yourself to a Fire-Safe Halloween

posted Oct 28, 2015, 6:52 AM by Tim Hendry   [ updated Oct 28, 2015, 6:52 AM ]
Notice- Treat Yourself to a Fire-Safe Halloween

The fire chief in Clearview Township is encouraging everyone to take a few minutes to focus on safety when considering costumes, decorating, and trick-or-treating this year.

“People often use lots of candles when decorating their home for Halloween. Whenever real candles are used, there is an increased risk of fire," said Chief Colin Shewell. "Battery operated candles and flashing lights are the safest. If you must use candles, keep them safely out of reach of children and pets and away from anything that can burn. Candles should never be left unattended.”

Keep family and friends safe by ensuring that costumes are bright and reflective and accompany children when they go trick-or-treating. Make sure everyone knows the emergency number.

“It is also a great time to check your smoke alarms to make sure they work. Only working smoke alarms can detect fire in its early stages,“ explained Chief Colin Shewell. “Talk to everyone in your home about what to do when the smoke alarms sounds”.

For more information, please contact:

Colin Shewell
Fire Chief
705-428-6230 ext. 403
cshewell@clearview.ca