News Release - Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week

Clearview- It's now the law in Ontario to install carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in your home if you have a fuel-burning appliance or an attached garage.

"If your home has a fuel-burning appliance or an attached garage, you must have a working CO alarm  adjacent to each sleeping area of the home," said Clearview Fire Chief Colin Shewell. "For added protection, install a carbon monoxide alarm on every storey of the home according to manufacturer's instructions." Fuel-burning appliances include, but are not limited to; furnaces, hot water heaters, gas or wood fireplaces, portable fuel-burning heaters and generators, barbeques, stoves and vehicles.

Single-family homeowners and owners of residential buildings that contain no more than six suites have until April 15, 2015 to comply with the law. Owners of residential buildings with more than six suites have until October 15, 2015 to comply.

The law will be enforced by Clearview Fire & Emergency Services. Failure to comply with the CO alarm requirements could result in a fine of up to $50,000 for individuals or $100,000 for corporations.

The Ontario Fire Code was amended October 15, 2014 to require CO alarms after the provincial government passed Bill 77 - the Hawkins Gignac Act, in December 2013. Bill 77 is named after OPP Constable Laurie Hawkins, who died, along with her husband and two children, in her Woodstock, ON home from CO poisoning in 2008.

The Ontario Fire Code also requires that condo and apartment buildings with a service room, must install CO alarms in the service room and adjacent to each sleeping area of all homes above, below and beside the service room. In condo or apartment buildings that have a garage, CO alarms must be installed adjacent to each sleeping area of all homes above, below and beside the garage.

" In Ontario, more than 80% of injuries and deaths from CO occur in the home," said Chief Colin Shewell. "We want to make sure everyone is safe from CO. Install CO alarms, and do everything you can to prevent CO in your home in the first place."


For more information, contact:
Fire Chief Colin Shewell
(705) 428-4355 Ext. 223

Ċ
Miglena Valeva,
Oct 29, 2014, 7:32 AM